There is this fabulous organization called Heifer International. The premise of the organization is simple. They help families and communities reach sustainability by providing livestock and training on how to care for those animals. These animals help the families by providing food, goods to sell/trade, and increasing productivity. In some cases, these animals afford families the money needed for their girls to attend school, something they wouldn’t otherwise be allowed to do.
In the spirit of giving, we at Women and Words are inviting our friends to help us purchase a barnyard animal. If you’d like to contribute, please fill out the form below. What we purchase will be determined by the amount of money we are able to raise. To give you an idea of how much money is needed, here’s a few of the items from the Heifer International catalog. If you’d like to check out the full list, you can do so at their website.
- $20 – A flock of birds (ducks, chickens, geese)
- $30 – Honeybees
- $60 – Rabbits
- $120 – Pig, sheep, or goat
- $150 – Alpaca or llama
- $250 – Water buffalo
- $500 – Heifer
They also have cool packages that puts together specific items that serve a common goal.
- $480 – Knitters basket (a llama, an alpaca, a sheep, and an angora rabbit)
- $200 – Animal health worker (includes all the tools for basic maintenance and health care of animals, including animal husbandry and medical treatments)
- $50 – Hope basket (rabbits and chickens)
- $365 – Launch a small business (provides training and startup capital for women to start their own small business)
There are many, many other things available, but they all have the intent of improving the quality of life throughout the world. Please, if you have an extra five bucks, fill out the form and help change life for the better for someone.