Fans of femslash, your ‘ship has come in.
VIOLET SURPRISE: FEMSLASH FEST is a short play festival that reimagines the possibilities for well-known, well-loved female-identifying characters to be in queer relationships, and for those relationships to be parodied positively and within the world of the original fandom.
Whether you’re down with OTP (One True Pairing) or you have an entire fleet of ‘ships, we invite you to create a Sapphic spoof of the characters’ signature sizzle that celebrates and elevates the perfection of their connection.
Write the subtext you see and the maintext you want to see. Inspiration – and subtext – can be found anywhere and everywhere: from Anne of Green Gables to The Baby-sitters Club to A League of Their Own. It’s particularly present on TV: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Call the Midwife, Designing Women, A Different World, Downton Abbey, Gilmore Girls, The Golden Girls, Grace and Frankie, I Love Lucy, Laverne & Shirley, Living Single, Once Upon a Time, SVU, That’s So Raven, Xena: Warrior Princess.
The possibilities are limitless, which is why submissions are open to romantic pairings of female-identifying characters in any fandom in any medium and in any genre. Whether your leading ladies come out of science fiction and fantasy, Disney or Shakespeare, classic literature (love Jo in Little Women?) or classic sitcoms (love Jo on The Facts of Life?), we request only that your writing be in ‘ship shape and in playscript format, and that the material be kept PG. Onstage intimacy is acceptable (what’s femslash without a first kiss?), but we want the show to be appropriate for audiences of all ages.
VIOLET SURPRISE: FEMSLASH FEST is curated and produced by Iris Sowlat and Allison Fradkin in collaboration with Otherworld Theatre Company, and will be presented in Chicago August 9-11, 2019.
- Submissions are open to playwrights who identify as female, trans, or non-binary.
- Plays can be up to 10 pages and include up to 4 characters.
- Playwrights may submit 2 scripts for consideration.
- Send your scripts in PDF format to email@example.com with “Violet Surprise” in the subject line. Questions may also be directed to that address.
- The deadline for submissions is June 8, 2019.
- Playwrights will be notified of our selections by June 22.
- Web site: https://www.otherworldtheatre.org/